Documents: 98, displayed: 21 - 40

Sub-project: Treasures from small collections

January 2013

Status: In progress

Financed by: swissuniversities

Description: The majority of Swiss manuscripts is held in larger collections, mostly in public and ecclesiastical institutions. It is easy to forget that some of the most important sources shaping the identity of Switzerland are found in collections that hold only a few manuscripts. e-codices has taken it upon itself to provide digital access to these important treasures from small collections, the originals of which are often not available to the general public.

All Libraries and Collections

Preview Page
Claro, Archivio parrocchiale, s. n.
Parchment · 28 ff. · 31 x 23.3 cm · Claro · second half of the 15th century
“Martirologio-calendario” of the Parish of Claro

This martirologio-calendario (obituary) of the Parish of Claro has no cover, and its initial pages are quite badly damaged. Each page is laid out to contain five to seven days of the week; names of the deceased whose death anniversaries were to be celebrated are listed in spaces especially intended for this purpose. It is almost certain that this annal replaces an older register. Individual entries were updated later and, as can be deduced from notes in the margins, were transferred to a new book. As a rule, the entries are not dated, but mention of several testaments and local customs allows for placing it in the period after the middle of the 15th century. (ber)

Online Since: 06/25/2015

Preview Page
Dalpe, Archivio parrocchiale, n. 1
Parchment · 6 ff. · 21/21.7 x 15 cm · Italy · 14th century
Passio s. Placidi

This parchment booklet from the parish archives of Dalpe (Leventina) contains the story of the suffering of St. Placidus of Disentis. Although the text is not complete, it contains a passage about the saint’s martyrdom, which is not included in the text’s principal manuscript held at the Zentralbibliothek of Zurich (Ms. Rh. 5). The community of Dalpe probably obtained this Passio so they could celebrate a yearly mass in honor of the saint in the new village chapel. The chapel had originally been dedicated to the Mary, but, as attested by documented sources, the patronage changed between 1370 and 1426, and the chapel was dedicated to St. Placidus. (ber)

Online Since: 09/23/2014

Preview Page
Disentis, Romanische Bibliothek des Klosters Disentis, M 138
Paper · 46 ff. · 16.5 x 10.5 cm · 1st part (ff. 1-18b) 1591, remainder 1593
Three dramas from the Upper Engadine

This manuscript contains two dramas from the Upper Engadine Histoargia dalg arik huͦm et da lazarus, ff. 1a-18b, completed 1591, and La Histoargia da Joseph (…), ff. 19a-38b, to which the scribe Jacob or Jachiam Ger added the date 1593 several times. He continued his work with a copy of the drama La Histoargia da las dysch Æteds “history of the ten centuries“ (f. 40a-f. 42b), of which only the beginning has survived (verses 1-157). This is the oldest surviving text of the Histoargia dalg arik huͦm et da lazarus. (dar)

Online Since: 03/22/2018

Preview Page
Disentis, Romanische Bibliothek des Klosters Disentis, M 156
Paper · 170 ff. · 19 x 13 / 20 x 16 cm · 1st part (ff. 1-78) 1623, 2nd part (ff. 79b-136b) 1618, 3rd part (ff. 1371-164a) 1620
Five dramas from the Upper Engadin

This manuscript contains five dramas from the Upper Engadin [La histoargia dalg filg pertz] f. 1a-36a (the beginning is missing, only surviving textual witness); üna historgia da hechastus f. 36a-78b (only surviving textual witness); [La histoargia da Joseph], f. 79b-99a; Vna bela senchia historgia da questa sainchia duonna süsanna (…) f. 100a-136b (oldest manuscript of this text), VNA BELA HISTORGIA dauart la Mur dalg Cchiaualÿr valantin et Eaglantina filgia dalg Araig Papin, f. 137a-164a (only surviving textual witness); f. 164b fragment of a song: Baruns ludat ilg Signer (= Chiampell, Psalm 29). The scribe of this manuscript is Peder Traviers (in various forms). The dating of the individual parts is based on indications by the scribe, which are usually found at the end of the piece. (dar)

Online Since: 03/22/2018

Preview Page
Disentis, Romanische Bibliothek des Klosters Disentis, M 286
Paper · 224 pp. · 17.5 x 14.5 cm · 1719
Cudisch dil viadi de Jerusalem

This manuscript contains the translation into Romansh of “Jerusalemer Reise“ (Journey to Jerusalem) by the parish priest and later abbot of Disentis, Jacob Bundi (pp.1-122); this is the oldest of the about 25 manuscripts of this translation from 1701 known so far. Following an originally blank page, there is a page with a German alphabet (p. 124), then 88 paginated pages in German script with instructions on planting various plants. According to the end page (p. 212), this is a copy of a work that was “Getruckt zu Cölln / Bey Heinrich Netessem (= Nettesheim) / in Margarden gaßen Im/ Jahr 1601. Geschriben im Jahr 1719 / den 5. Martij / P.C. Berchter“. (dar)

Online Since: 03/22/2018

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac, Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume I
Parchment · 373 ff. · 57.5-58 x 39-39.5 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1489/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars hiemalis (vol. I)

This volume is part of an antiphonary in three volumes that was produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent in the city of Bern shortly after the college’s founding in the years 1484/85. The manuscript contains the entire winter portion of the Temporale, of the Sanctorale and of the Commune Sanctorum according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. The book decoration with miniatures for numerous initials is attributed to the Master of the breviary of Jost von Silenen, an itinerant artist who was active in Fribourg, Bern, Sion and later in Ivrea and Aosta. He got his name from a breviary in two volumes that was created around 1493 for the Bishop of Sion, Jost of Silenen (1482-1496). After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of antiphonaries was sold in 1530: four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two — among them a duplicate of this manuscript — reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained. They are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac, Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume II
Parchment · 315 ff. · 58.5 x 41-41.5 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1489/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars aestiva, de Sanctis (vol. II)

This volume is part of an antiphonary in three volumes that was produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent (founded in 1484/85) in the city of Bern. It contains the Proprium de sanctis and the Commune Sanctorum of the summer portion (March 25 to November 25) according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. The book decoration generally matches that of the first volume and can be attributed to a different anonymous illuminator of lesser quality. After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of six antiphonaries was sold in 1530: four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two — among them a duplicate of this volume — reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained. They are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac, Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume III
Parchment · 120 ff. · 59 x 39.5-40 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1489/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars aestiva, de Tempore (vol. III)

This is the third and last volume of an antiphonary in three volumes that was produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent (founded in 1484/85) in the city of Bern. It contains the summer portion of the De Tempore according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. Its duplicate is contained in volume IV. The book decoration consists of five illuminated initials, fleuronée initials and cadels, by the same artist who also decorated volume I. After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of six antiphonaries was sold in 1530. Four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained; they are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Estavayer-le-Lac, Paroisse catholique Saint-Laurent, Volume IV
Parchment · 116 ff. · 58.5-59 x 41 cm · Bern, St. Vincent · around 1489/1490
Antiphonarium lausannense, pars aestiva, de Tempore (vol. IV)

This volume is part of an antiphonary in three volumes that was produced in duplicate for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Vincent (founded in 1484/85) in the city of Bern. It contains the summer portion of the De Tempore according to the liturgy of the Diocese of Lausanne. Its duplicate is contained in volume III. The book decoration is by an anonymous artist; it consists of cadels, fleuronée initials and an illuminated initial with a border on f. 1r. After the introduction of the Reformation to Bern in the year 1528 and the subsequent secularization of the chapter, the entire group of six antiphonaries was sold in 1530. Four were sold to the city of Estavayer-le-Lac and were used there for the liturgy of the Collegiate Church of St. Lorenz; the other two reached Vevey under circumstances that remain unexplained; they are currently held in the historical museum there. (ber)

Online Since: 12/18/2014

Preview Page
Flawil, Gemeinde Flawil, Burgauer Offnung
Parchment · 37 ff. · 21 x 27 cm · Burgau · 10 August 1469
The Burgau ‘Offnung’ of 1469

The Burgau Offnung of 1469 is a medieval law book. It governs the relations of associates in the law courts, at the princely court, and in communal landholdings within a court district (here the lower court of Burgau near Flawil) with the lord of that court, the "Vogt" (reeve). At the time this was Rudolf IX Giel of Glattburg, a ministry official of the abbot of St. Gall Abbey. Originally the Burgau Offnung was part of a single volume together with those of Flawil, Gebhartschwil, Uffhoven and Rudlen. The Flawil Offnung (up to page 17) was removed and bound separately. Preceding the text of the Burgau Offnung on pp. 18-28 were those of the Offnung of gebhartschwil, uffhoven und rudeln. The book was entrusted to the respective “Ammann” (head of the district council) of Burgau of the time. After 1798, following the dissolution of the lower court, the book transferred to the village corporation of Burgau. After consolidation of Burgau with Flawil, the book came into the custody of the municipality of Flawil. (sce)

Online Since: 06/23/2014

Preview Page
Flawil, Gemeinde Flawil, Flawiler Offnung
Parchment · 21 ff. · 20.5 x 29.5 cm · Burgau · 1471/1472
The Flawil ‘Offnung’

The Flawil Offnung of 1471, sealed on 21 January 1472, is a medieval law book. It governs the relations of associates in the law courts, at the princely court, and in communal landholdings within a court district (here the lower court of Flawil) with the lord of that court, the "Vogt" (reeve). At the time this was Rudolf IX Giel of Glattburg, a ministry official of the abbot of St. Gall Abbey. This document provides an insight into the legal and economic situation towards the end of the 15th century. Originally the Flawil Offnung was part of a single volume together with those of Gebhartschwil, Uffhoven and Rudlen (Aufhofen and Rudeln) as well as Burgau. Later the Flawil Offnung (up to page 17) was removed. Due to the dissolution of the lower court, after 1798 the Flawil Offnung was transferred to the citizens’ corporation or today’s municipality of Flawil. (sce)

Online Since: 06/23/2014

Preview Page
Frauenfeld, Katholisches Pfarrarchiv Frauenfeld, KPfAF III Bg 3
Parchment · 3 ff. · 17 x 11.4 cm · around 1250
Frauenfeld fragments from Konrad Fleck’s "Flore und Blanscheflur"

Around 1220 Konrad Fleck translated the romantic novel "Flore et Blancheflor", written in 1160 by an unknown Provençal poet, into High Alemannic. The complete work consists of about 8,000 verses. Several fragments of an early copy of Fleck’s translation have survived in the parish archives of Frauenfeld. The parchment pieces had been used as a cover for a tribute register from the prebend of St. Michael. (hux)

Online Since: 06/23/2016

Preview Page
Genève, La Bibliothèque juive « Gérard Nordmann », HEB 0002
Paper · I + 186 + VI ff. · 20.7 x 17.3 cm · 18th century
Astronomical and geographical work

In all the world, only six manuscript exemplars and an old print of this work (1743) still exist. Its author is the famous Bohemian rabbi, astronomer and mathematician R. David ben Salomon Gans (1541-1613), student of Maharal of Prague, R. Judah Loew (1525-1609) and of Rema, R. Moses Isserles (1520-1572). In his 1974 monograph about David Gans, André Neher referred to this copy as the Manuscrit de Genève. A colophon in the manuscript gives the date as 1613, but a current study about the history of the transmission of this work suggests that it is an 18th century copy. (iss)

Online Since: 06/14/2018

Preview Page
Luzern, Korporation Luzern, S 23 fol.
Parchment · 688 pp. · 39-39.5 x 27.5-28.5 cm · Lucerne · 1513
Illustrated Chronicle by Diebold Schilling of Lucerne (Luzerner Schillling)

This chronicle, completed in 1513, tells the early history of Lucerne and, beginning with the Battle of Sempach (1386), it tells the history of the Swiss Confederation from the point of view of followers of the Holy Roman Emperor. The 450 illustrations by two different hands, due to their vividness and to the richness of their subjects and details, constitute a unique source of information about late medieval life. (kam)

Online Since: 03/19/2015

Preview Page
Mairengo, Archivio parrocchiale, s. n.
Parchment · A + 61 + B ff. · 38 x 26.4 cm · Mairengo · 1563
"Martirologio-calendario" (obituary) of the Parish of S. Siro of Mairengo

Obituary of the Parish of S. Siro of Mairengo (Ticino), written by the priest Ambrogio Rossi of Chironico, who copied an older obituary that was probably damaged or had no more space. The Ambrosian type calendar lists the stipends for annual masses or for anniversaries, the solemnities, the indulgences and notes regarding the pledges to the parish and to the entire valley. On December 28, the Feast of the Holy Innocents, the commemoration of the Battle of Giornico (Battaglia dei Sassi Grossi, 1479) is recorded. (ber)

Online Since: 06/23/2016

Preview Page
Mariastein, Benediktinerkloster, APN 2 Antiphonar, 2. Teil
Parchment · 251 ff. · 45 x 32 cm · Cologne (?) · 2nd half of the 14the century
Antiphonary

This antiphonary from the 2nd half of the 14th century includes the texts from Pentecost to the end of the liturgical year, as well as the corresponding saints’ days and texts for the Commune sanctorum. The origin is unknown, but based on the inclusion of certain saints’ days, the manuscript originated in the Cologne area. Written in a uniform script, with neumes on four lines throughout and a few later additions with neumes on five lines; signs of usage and later notes. Five larger and five smaller initials are covered in gold leaf, and in addition there are 36 plainer initials; all initial letters are set off in red or blue, the rubrics are in red. A father from Marienstein, who worked at the Kollegium of Altdorf, received the manuscript second-hand. From there the manuscript came to Mariastein in 1981. Not published. (sck)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Mariastein, Benediktinerkloster, ehem. zbs S 231
Paper · 287 ff. · 20.5 x 14 cm · 15th century (last quarter)
S. Bernardus Claraevallensis, Opuscula Selecta

This codex from the end of the 15th century contains several appealing initials and select shorter works by Bernard of Clairvaux. Among them are also several works attributed to Bernard. The scribe ist the Cistercian Johannes Fabri, professed member of the monastery of Heilbronn. According to an old entry (17th century?), the book belonged to Beinwil Abbey, which was relocated to Mariastein in 1648. (sck)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Mariastein, Benediktinerkloster, ehem. zbs S 353
Paper · 282 ff. · 21 x 14.5 cm · 15th century (1470-1480)
Spiritual writings · Sermons and lives of the saints

Texts in German, written in the middle of the 15th century, for use in the nuns’ convent of Maria Magdalena in den Steinen in Basel. Later the book belonged to Olsberg Abbey. It contains spiritual texts by various authors, also sermons for Sundays and holidays, as well as legends of the saints. Mariastein Abbey acquired the book at a Basel auction around 1820. The sermon for the Assumption of Mary on Fol. 194r-198v can be found in a printed version in ZSKG 4, 1910, pp. 205-212 or 207-212, based on a copy therefrom by P. Anselm Dietler of Mariastein (died 1864). (sck)

Online Since: 06/22/2017

Preview Page
Mariastein, Benediktinerkloster, ehem. zbs S 429
Parchment · I + 321 + I ff. · 9 x 6 cm · 15th century (after 1461)
Horae Diurnae [Ad Usum Monialium Ordinis Praedicatorum]

This booklet, written by a single hand around the middle of the 15th century, was used for the prayer of the little hours at the Schönsteinbach Convent of Dominican nuns in Upper Alsace. It contains the texts of the Proprium de tempore and of the Commune Sanctorum. The last part contains the Ordinarium, but it is incomplete. Philipp Jakob Steyrer, Abbot of St Peter's Abbey in the Black Forest, purchased the book in 1781; through him, it came to Mariastein Abbey. (sck)

Online Since: 09/26/2017

Preview Page
Mariastein, Benediktinerkloster, ehem. zbs S 508
Parchment · 50 ff. · 16 x 12 cm · 15th century (1st half)
Obsequiale [Ad Usum Monialium Ordinis Praedicatorum]

This booklet, with notes and decorated with three initials, contains the texts for the Office of the Dead, the seven penitential psalms, and prayers for a deceased Dominican nun, probably in the convent in Colmar. Judging by the script, it is from the first half of the 15th century. The book belonged to Sister Martha Gosslerin. In 1782 it was acquired by Philipp Jakob Steyrer, Abbot of St Peter's Abbey in the Black Forest; through him, the booklet came to Mariastein Abbey. (sck)

Online Since: 09/26/2017

Documents: 98, displayed: 21 - 40